What Is Detoxification?
Body detoxification, or as in short detox, is the physiological or medicinal removal of heavy metals and other toxic substances from a living organism. Thousands of alternative medicine practitioners preach the positive effects of this process, promoting various health supplements and detoxification diets.
Part of many medical practices from all the world’s cultures, including ayurvedic and Chinese, detox is all about well rest, cleansing and nourishing the body from the inside out.
By removing heavy metals and toxins, and replacing them with healthy compounds, you will manage to protect yourself from disease.
More than this, you will manage to renew your ability of maintaining optimal health.
How Does Detoxification Work?
In short, detoxification is about cleansing the bloodstream. The main organ where toxins are being processed for elimination, is the liver.
Beside it, the human body also cleanses itself through kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. If the compound intake is not being properly filtered, the impurities get into the bloodstream, ending up in every cell of the body. This can cause serious damage.
Where To Start From, When It Comes To Detoxification?
First of all, eliminate all the external factors that might intoxicate your blood. For example, alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats. These are all elements that impede detox from happening and healing from taking place.
As far as internal factors go, another toxin producer is stress. This affects your hormonal balance, causing the body to release stress hormones into the bloodstream. These hormones impede and slow down the speeds at which the liver functions to cleanse the blood.
The most appreciated and successful ways to reduce stress are Yoga, Qigong and meditation sessions.
What Detox Program Would Suit You Best?
Depending on each person’s needs, there are many detox recipes and programs. Some follow a 7-day schedule while others rely on health supplements, herbs, exercises and practices such as dry-skin brushing and hydrotherapy to enhance circulation.
One unique method is the one that uses 100% natural juices. It seems a 3 to 7 day juice fastening (drinking only fresh fruit and vegetable juices with water) is one of the most effective ways to release toxins from the bloodstream.
10 Tips To Detoxify Your Body
You can easily cleanse your body, every day, through diet, supplements and lifestyle practices:
1. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods. You can consume them with plenty of fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables.
2. Herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle and green tea are great liver protectors.
3. Vitamin C produces glutathione. This is a liver compound that eliminates toxins.
4. Drink plenty of water.
5. Do breath exercises in order to allow oxygen to circulate through your entire body.
6. Ignore stressful situations.
7. Practice hydrotherapy: take a hot shower for 5 minutes, after which use cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
8. Go to saunas and eliminate toxins through perspiration.